A friend blessed me with some fresh figs and I was not sure what to do with them. I decided to make some fig bread it’s kinda like zucchini bread but with fresh figs.
- 1-1/2 cup fresh figs (remove stems and chop fine)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (I used cognac)
- 1-2/3 cup A/P flour (prefer unbleached)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1 tsp nutmeg (used 1/2 tsp freshly grated)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cup sugar (used 1 cup cane & 1/2 cup brown)
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 2 eggs
First combine the chopped figs with the sherry and set aside. Next mix sugar, eggs and oil (used a hand mixer). In a separate bowl mix flour, nuts, spices, soda and salt, then whisk to combine.
Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and fold in the figs. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on rack for 1 to 2 hours then serve warm or cold. It freezes well if needed.