This was one of my favorites growing up. To start you need a cooked chicken, I was fortunate to find a (3 lb) no hormone, no antibiotic, cage free chicken for $3.50. I roasted it in the oven last night.
Rotisserie chicken would be fine if you don’t want to cook one. I only used 1/2 of my bird (about 2 cups). Pull it from the bone carefully you don’t want any crunch other than the celery .
Add the mix:
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon.
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, I used celery leaf (what I had)
- 1/2 stick of chopped celery
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (start with 1/2 then taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped boiled egg
Mix the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper then add to the chicken celery, onion, egg and herbs.The steamer basket in the background is for the egg, steam for 12 minutes and toss in cold water.
Mix well and taste, add more salt if needed. Serve on toasted bread or crackers.
One Comment Add yours
Thanks DIGIORNO DAD! I have rarely made chicken salad and needed this know how and inspiration! You are adding value to lives!