The star of this show is the grits, get the best you can find. I used Lake Side “Yellow Grits” from NC because they are the best I can find at the local grocery. Anson mills and Adluh Flour are great if you can find them.
The recipe used was from Juniper in Ridge Spring, SC and serves 4-6.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sausage (used Italian because it’s what I had)
- 1/2 cup cut okra (used frozen whole and cut it up)
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (used a fresh one)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 24 South Carolina shrimp 21/25 count, peeled and deveined, tail off.
- 3 tablespoons Lowcountry seasoning (see below).
Heat butter in skillet, add sausage (brown it), then add the okra and tomatoes. Let cook about 4-5 minutes, moving around in pan often, then add garlic. Add shrimp, and cook about 3 minutes partially cooking the shrimp. Sprinkle with the Lowcountry seasoning and saute about 3-4 more minutes, until shrimp is cooked. Serve over grits and enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients in small bowl.
Pleas note: It has been a challenge to find fresh SC shrimp even though I live 90 miles from the coast. Had to use frozen gulf shrimp (always buy it shell on) for this recipe. Here is an article about the challenges and decline of shrimping in SC wheres the shrimp?