This is an old school recipe that has many varieties. I like potatoes with my loaf and have tried several attempts at this. I picked up some grass fed beef and decided to make a loaf, this took about 2 hours total.
- 1 pound ground beef (85/15 grass fed or whatever you have)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 sweet onion (fine chop)
- 1 small jalapeno (fine chop)
- 1 cup bread crumb (used fresh)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (used celery leaf)
- 1 small can whole tomato’s (reserve liquid, add only good pieces use hands)
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 2 medium sized potato’s (sliced 1/8″ pieces)
- salt, pepper, and whatever else you have in the fridge
In a 2 qt. casserole dish (sprayed with non-stick) line sliced potato’s in the bottom and add meat mix to top. Cook for 25 minutes at 350 degrees and drain (as best you can). Make your sauce with the reserved tomato juice.
Cook for 25 minutes and drain as much as possible. Don’t dump it out, drain carefully from one corner (in a jar don’t send down the sink).
- 1/2 cup off the tomato juice (from the can of tomato’s)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinagar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
Top with sauce and bake for another 45 minutes. When cutting into slices make sure the knife goes easily thru the potato’s on the bottom, if not cook longer.