Had some good leftovers from Easter, ham, deviled eggs, potato salad pretty much a food coma. Time to lighten it up with a super food Lacinata organic kale.
Some don’t like kale but I hope you can learn to work it in to your meal. It has excellent health benefits. This is a small batch good for 2 people.
I will list the ingredients in order that I cooked them (use what you have on hand).
- 1 piece of chopped bacon
- 1/4 large onion chopped
- 2 small carrots chopped (cut big end into half then chop)
- 1 stalk celery chopped (reserve leaves)
- 1 pinch salt, red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- Chopped tomato (I used 10 grape tomato’s)
- 1 quart vegetable broth (organic but has salt, don’t add salt)
- 1/2 cup cooked ham (chopped)
- 1 can cooked beans (used northern and white mixed, drained)
- 1 small bunch washed kale (5 leaves)
- The kicker 1 piece of Parmesan rind
“Saute” the first 6 in a pan until soft, then add chicken or vegetable broth and cooked ham. Add spices, I had some fresh sage so I added about 5 small leaves chopped. The rest was dried, pinch of rosemary, thyme and oregano.
Cook for 15 minutes and add 1 can of cooked beans. Peel kale from stem and chop into small pieces and add to soup. Cook for another 10 minutes and serve with freshly grated Parmesan and chopped celery leaves or parsley (if you have it).
A toasty piece of bread is a must to soak up the flavors.