Easy recipe that can be adapted with what ever you want. The key is the fresh blanched basil. Very economical I think there is about $1.50 in ingredients (I grow my own basil).
You will need a food processor or blender to make it, took as long to clean the processor than to make.
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup blanched fresh basil (20 seconds in boiling water then ice)
- 1 can Garbanzo beans (rinsed & drained)
- Couple of big pinches kosher salt (careful here start with a little)
- 1/8 tsp pepper (or less)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil (use the good stuff)
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender, pulse and wipe down while blending. Let it marry in the fridge for an hour or longer. The blanching of the basil will keep it from turning gray. Serve with Pita chips or crackers. Optional, drizzle a little EVO on top before serving.