Life will be difficult and trust is a golden pathway to heaven. Now on to the soup, start in a cast iron dutch oven (or use a regular pot). Chop and combine:
- 2 to 3 cups carrots
- 2 to 3 sticks celery
- 2-3 potatoes (peeled)
- 1 small head of cabbage (about 3 cups)
- Cover with water and cook for 15-20 minutes
- I also added 1 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon (warm in micro)
While this cooks (15-20 mins.) brown your ground beef (about 1 lb.) in another pan. Drain fat into one of those empty jars you have under the sink. Finish cooking with a tblsp. of chipotle and adobo sauce (if you have) if not season with salt & pepper.
Then add your seasoned ground beef, along with:
- 2 can whole tomato (crush by hand include juice)
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 1/3 bag whole okra (sliced into medium pieces)
- (optional) I did not have. 1 small can early peas and 1 small can sliced green beans.
- Add more water, if needed, cook slowly until veggies are tender.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
A word on okra, I love it and it’s January. Whats a guy to do? Solution is the freezer section at the local grocery. If you don’t like okra maybe your not getting the right stuff. The ones you want are about the size of your pinky finger.