This is a good brunch item, easy to make and takes about 1 hour total. Several items at the bottom of the ingredient list are optional. If you don’t have them no worries there are many things you can add or subtract to make it yours. The first seven ingredients are key.
- 1 pie shell (deep or regular)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (prefer Dukes)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 lb. browned sausage (bulk)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped onions (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers (optional)
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and brown sausage in a skillet. Mix milk, mayonnaise, eggs and cornstarch together (sour cream if using). Remove and drain the sausage, saute’ onions until soft and add the spinach and peppers when onions are done (if using). Slightly wilt spinach then add all ingredients to the egg mix and pour into pie shell.
I like to sprinkle the top with paprika for a little color. Bake for 40 minutes or until slightly puffy and golden.