In my youth my mom often sent a tuna sandwich for lunch, hence I was given the nickname “Tuna”. It was made with canned tuna, mayo, pickle relish, salt and pepper on sandwich bread. Scarred for life I still like it and have expanded the ingredients.
- 2 slices, thick Italian or French bread
- 1 can of good tuna (prefer Italian packed in olive oil, don’t use cheap stuff!)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (prefer Dukes or Hellmans)
- 1 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon chili or other mild hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- optional sprinkle with cayenne or chipotle pepper
Mix all ingredients except bread, cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
Next butter both sides of bread and toast each side.
Top each piece with the tuna and make sure to spread it all the way to the edges. If you over cook the bread turn the darkest side down. Top with shredded cheddar then sprinkle with cayenne and toast until bubbly and cheese is running down the side.
Serve with chips, Cheetos or whatever you like.